- Place: Place: Blackwell Forest Preserve, Group campsites 1, 2 & 3 (enter from Mack Road)
- Time: 6:00 p.m. Friday—Mid-morning Saturday
- Commitment: 2–16 hours
- Contact: Mike Licht or Aaron Zoeller
Do you enjoy s’mores hot off a camp fire? How about the crisp fresh air of the wilderness, or waking up with the sun? If any of these tickle your fancy, join other St. John families for a night of camping at Blackwell Forest Preserve. Three large group sites are reserved with plenty of room for all. Bring your own camping supplies, dinner and breakfast. S’mores and fire(s) provided. You’re welcome to come for the evening and retreat to your own bed afterward. If you don’t have a tent, contact Mike or Aaron who will do their best to accommodate.
- Place: The Commons
- Time: 2:30 p.m.
- Commitment: 1.5–2 hours, plus reading time
- Contact: Jakob Yonker or Aaron Crowe
Guys who are trying to keep up with reading this summer are invited to a fun weekly gathering. Book titles are from the fourth grade Battle of the Books list, starting with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. Let’s make new friends and work together to meet those summer reading goals!
- Place: Bethel Lutheran Church–Gurnee and Six Flags Great America
- Time: 8:00 a.m. Saturday, August 16 to 1:00 p.m. Sunday, August 17
- Commitment: 26 hours, Cost $50.00
- Contact: Pastor Nelson firstname.lastname@example.org
Get ready to head back to school by spending a weekend with fellow Christians! We’ll leave Saturday morning to meet up with some other Lutheran highschoolers from the Chicago area at Bethel Lutheran. Then we’ll spend the day at Six Flags and come back to Bethel for worship, Bible study, and more fun. We’ll be back at St. John after church. Friends are welcome! RSVP by August 3.
- Place: The Commons
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Commitment: 2 hours
- Contact: Brenda Douglass email@example.com
Our August selection is Shop on Blossom Street, by Debbie Macomber. Join us for discussion and fellowship the second Tuesday of every month. Upcoming dates and titles include:
• September 9—Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story, by Ben Carson
• October 14—Remember Me, by Mary Higgins Clark
• November 11—A Lineage of Grace, by Francine Rivers
• December—No meeting
• January 13, 2015—Kabul Beauty School, by Deborah Rodriguez
- Place: Caring Cube Shelves/Lower level Outreach room
- Time: Weekend worship/Bible study
- Commitment: 5 minutes
- Contact: Ann Williams
Milton Township Food Pantry serves more than 400 Wheaton area families a month. It is supported solely by donations. Please help our hungry neighbors by filling one or more grocery bags with non-perishable items. Bring your donations to church and we’ll get them to our local food pantries. Many thanks for your generous support each month.
- Place: Hosted in homes
- Time: 9:30–11:00 a.m.
- Commitment: 1.5 hours or as long as you can stay or play
- Contact: Rachel Strutzel
Me and My Shadow is a chance for moms to chat while the kids play! Upcoming dates are July 22, August 5 and 19. Contact Rachel for the location or if you have questions.
- Place: Lower Level Outreach Room
- Time: Before/After Weekend worship
- Commitment: A few minutes
- Contact: Carol Hoelter
Can you believe it is time to start thinking about Christmas Sharing? Collections start in August. Little by little we collect items to share with neighbors in need. While taking advantage of “Back-to-School” sales remember Christmas Sharing and purchase socks in any size for the families who will join us in December for the Christmas Sharing event. Place your donations in the Lower Level Outreach Room.
Thank you for your generous support of Christmas Sharing in the past. We look forward to your participation this year. Interested in serving on the Christmas Sharing Committee? Contact Carol Hoelter.
Christmas Sharing Collection Schedule
September…………….Soap and paper products
October…………………New toys and teen gifts
November…………….Food and gently used clothing
Listen online Sunday mornings at 8:30 a.m. (broadcast through the WETN-FM Wheaton College Radio website), or listen on the air at 88.1 FM. Audio of the service is also simultaneously broadcast on WETN-TV: Wheaton Cable Channel 72, Warrenville and Winfield Cable Channel 17, and West Chicago Cable Channel 10.